2/8/12

grand slam

the title of this post won't mean anything but to a select few - whitey, boodoodle, mollyryan, katiedoodad.  it symbolizes a name that will forever keep a memory in my mind.

eighty four years ago today (or so he says), marked the birth of a wonderful man.  he was a brother, a husband, a father, an uncle, a grandfather, a best friend, and a solider.  i've never met a more decent individual.  sure, he cussed and swore like every other grandpa.  but, he was kind and caring.  above all, he would do anything, and i mean anything for his grandchildren.  my grandfather, known to most of the world as Don, lived, loved and laughed his ass off.  his friends and most of his family knew him as Donald Minks.  however, his immediate family called him Ross.  he was a minimalist.  on his last birthday celebration, my family asked him where he wanted to go for dinner.  he replied - Dairy Queen.  what better way to ring in another year than with a blizzard?!  good choice, grandpa!  he was one hell of a card player.  i can remember being a tiny little toe head running around at family gatherings and finally finding a spot on my grandpa's lap.  he would teach me how to play cards and how to make an extremely stern poker face.  he taught me how to drive - although via a tractor.  he taught me the value of a dollar.  he taught me that no matter what, love your family.  he was an incredible man with so much love to give.  i sincerely appreciate every single thing he gave me.




love,
slam

No comments:

Post a Comment